Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Manos y Pies (Hands & Feet)

About a year ago I started going once a week to Farmerville Elementary to tutor Spanish-speaking students in the ESL program there. I've been going with a couple of other volunteers through this organization called Manna Project International. Manna isn't faith-based, but that in no way has stopped this huge conviction of mine that through it I've been able to be a small part of the hands and feet of Christ. The need is enormous, the physical need I mean, but more than that our group has unexpectedly become default role-models for the chicos. As we've done this we've also become better friends, and I can't explain how great this one-a-week adventure has become to me. It's a passion, it's grassroots, and I can't help but think that if Christ were with us that he would love teaching Kindergarten kids their ABC's. I could go on and on, one story after another from this experience. Hands and feet, now I'm just praying for more workers to enter the field...

2 comments:

JWD said...

Your heart is something special, Will. It's an inspiration to me, in fact. If everyone took to life the way that you do--reckless love and passionate meekness--I imagine we'd have fewer tears and less lost blood. By far.
Stay aflame.

Danielle Dee said...

children are going to save the world. i'm convinced. :)