Saturday, July 24, 2010

Confessions from Tennessee

The last post mentioned that I would be sailing into new waters. Well, my sailing has finally slowed and I find myself in a landlocked state. That's right: Tennessee.

When you leave your college town and "go off into the world," it feels like someone has pressed the "reset" button on your life. So much of your identity seems to be at a distance. Family, friends, church, school, classes, and professors all seem like a past life. I raise the questions that I suppose everyone asks: what do I keep...and what can I keep?

One thing that's been a bigger challenge than I ever imagined is how to "set up shop" with faith. Jesus hasn't changed, and His kingdom seems to be moving in Memphis the way it's still moving in Ruston. The context has changed so much on my end though...and I think I'm beginning to understand why transitions to new faith communities can be such a hard thing. I guess this is the classic case of the "youth group to college ministry" struggle. Some make the leap, and some just give it up.

If finding and moving to the rhythms of the Kingdom were like painting a picture, then I have no shortage of paint and brushes.

I just need to recognize the canvas and let His breath continue to guide the strokes...

Please pray that I can draw near to Christ.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

I'm looking forward to hearing your teaching stories from this year. It feels good getting settled in Tennessee.

matthewjcrouch said...

so are you back to this blog?? you should get connected with my friend Andrew Vincent. Im not sure if you knew him at Tech or not, he moved to memphis maybe your freshman or sophmore year, great guy. Let me know and I will connect yall. hope your doing well.